Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple, easy vegetarian weeknight dinner that is creamy and hearty and full of delicious depth and flavor! This version is vegan-adaptable and can be made on a stovetop.
Here’s a deliciously addicting weeknight dinner that will go on our regular rotation – Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff! I love how simple and fast this is to make, while not compromising depth or flavor.
And the nice part is, this can also be made vegan or on the stovetop! Truth be told, I’ve never really been a huge stroganoff fan, so I was a little skeptical about this one… haha!
instant pot mushroom stroganoff
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: main, pasta, instant pot recipe, vegetarian, vegan adaptable
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: Russian
- Diet: Vegetarian
Instant Pot Mushroom Stroganoff – a simple, easy vegetarian weeknight dinner that is creamy, hearty and full of delicious depth and flavor! Vegan Adaptable! See Stovetop version below!
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ a red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced (cremini, shiitake, button)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup cooking sherry (or sub white wine or more broth)
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1–2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 ounces pasta (rotini, penne) about a scant 3 cups (adding more will result in the burn error!)
Stir in after cooking:
- ½ to ¾ cup sour cream ( or sub vegan sour cream or Cashew Cheese-see notes)
- Heat oil on “sauté” function. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute 7-9 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid.
- Add sherry wine, 2 cups broth, mustard and flour and stir well, scraping up any browned bits (to prevent burn error)
- Add the pasta, stir.
- Set instant pot to pressure cook on high for 3-4 minutes. (see notes)
- Manually release (placing a towel over the steam).
- Stir in the sour cream, and keep on warm setting for 5-10 minutes. Sauce will thicken slightly, but will remain “saucy” enough for dipping garlic bread. Taste, add more mustard if you like.
- Sometimes for extra depth, I’ll add a teaspoon of soy sauce in at the end, up to you.
Instant Pot cooking times will vary depending on pasta. A good rule of thumb is to halve the cooking time on the pasta directions on the package and subtract one minute. For example, 9 minutes on the package would be 4 minutes in the pressure cooker.
Vegan Sour Cream: make the Cashew cheese, but a little thinner – add a couple more tablespoons of water than the recipe calls for. 🙂 The vinegar in the cashew cheese will add a nice tanginess to the pasta.
- Boil the pasta.
- Make the Sauce: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms release all of their liquid and this liquid cooks off, about 10 minutes. Add the wine, cook it off again. Stir in 1 heaping tablespoon flour, and cook 1 minute. Add the broth, salt, pepper and mustard (start with 1 tablespoon) scraping up any browned bits, and stir to incorporate well, letting it simmer and thicken.
- Stir in the pasta and sour cream. Taste, adjust salt and mustard adding more if you like.