Looking for something outside the norm to serve for a special occasion? Few things feel as special—and as satisfying—as a well cooked beef short rib. This version is fall-off-the-bone tender and insanely flavorful, thanks to a quick sear before slow cooking and a sauce that would make ANYTHING taste good. Skip the fancy meal out and make these stunners instead. (Bonus points if you serve them up with a heaping pile of creamy mashed potatoes. 😍)
Made it? Let us know how it went in the comment section below!
YIELDS: 5 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 25 MINS
TOTALTIME: 9 HOURS 25 MINS
lb. bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
Freshly ground black pepper 1/2 c.
low sodium soy sauce1/2 c.
light brown sugar1/4 c.
rice wine vinegar 2 tsp.
sesame oil1 tsp.
crush red pepper flakes (optional )3
Carrots, medium, peeled and chopped into thirds1
yellow onion, large, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges 5 cloves garlic, crushed 1 1/2
inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
Toasted sesame seeds, for serving 2
green onions, thinly sliced, for serving
Cooked short grain white rice, for serving
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, brown short ribs on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer short ribs to slow cooker and pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings from pot.
- Meanwhile, whisk soy sauce, water, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and red pepper flakes.
- Add carrots and onions to pan, and cook, mixing occasionally until browned. Add garlic and ginger and brown until fragrant, 1 minute more. Remove from heat and deglaze with reserved soy sauce mixture, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours, or until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone.
- Garnish short ribs with toasted sesame seeds and green onions. Spoon sauce over rice and serve.